On this day in 1916 the ANZAC Club and Buffet was re-opened at new premises in London by Andrew Fisher, Australia’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, and a former Australian Prime Minister.
The ANZAC Club and Buffet had been established in 1915 to provide refreshments for the numerous AIF members who passed through London during the First World War. It had originally been located in Horseferry Road, where the AIF Administrative Headquarters was located.
The re-opening was also attended by Private Martin O’Meara (if the 16th Battalion) and Private Bill Jackson (of the 17th Battalion), recent Australian Victoria Cross recipients. The Australasian newspaper later reported that ‘There was a large attendance, including two V.C.’s – Private Jackson and Private O’Meara – who had a rapturous reception.’
Martin O’Meara and Bill Jackson were photographed together being served refreshments at the re-opening.
Bill Jackson had lost his right arm as a result of a wound received earlier in 1916, and the photograph seems staged to hide his right side and the absence of his arm.